[fluka-discuss]: Interactions at surface between air and air

From: Kilian Baumann <baumann.kilian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 22:05:52 +0200

Dear Fluka-experts!

I have discovered a (perhaps) strange result, when analysing the
depthdose-curve and fluence, when irradiating a waterphantom with a
region in front of it. My whole setup consists of the beam source (80
MeV carbon-ions), a water phantom and a region between waterphantmom
and source. The enviroment is air. When assigning the material of the
region to air, it should be as if there is no region at all (because
the enviroment and the region consist of the same material). However,
the depthdose-curve (for <1E05 primaries) in the waterphantom is
significantly different to the depthdose-curve, when there is no
region. However this effect gets lost, when using >1E07 primaries.
Furthermore I analysed the fluence at the surface of the region, so to
say at the surface between air and air and indepent on the amount of
primaries one can see a change in fluence at the surface.
My question now is, what FLUKA is exacly calculating near this
surface/region (perhaps some artefacts with single-/multi-scattering)
and if any effects are negiglibly if using a sufficient amount of
primaries.
Thanking you in advance!
Best regards,
Kilian