Re: [fluka-discuss]: Stopping power of protons in water (next part)

From: Andrea Fontana <andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:12:38 +0100

Hi all,
      perhaps the other day I have not understood exactly the
point of Jean Emmanuel. Now it is clear and I have also done
a test as Vasilis and Alfredo suggest: I also get 18.767 MeV/cm
even with a single proton!

I attach my .inp file with all the settings.

Infact this would correspond to a CSDA calculation, which
should be the value reported on the NIST tables.

Ciao,
Andrea

Il 30/01/2015 07:30, Alfredo Ferrari ha scritto:
> ... what Vasilis suggest is fine, however at larger energies you have
> also to switch off completely delta rays (if not part of the dE/dx in
> form of secondary electrons will escape the thin layer). An even better
> way is (on top of what Vasilis suggests and of switching off completely
> delta rays) to switch off Landau fluctuations (with IONFLUCT)
> and multiple scattering (with MULSOPT) -> every proton will experience
> only the average stopping power and nothing else -> 1 proton is enough
> to get the value of dE/dx
>
> Alfredo

> | Alfredo Ferrari || Tel.: +41.22.76.76119 |
> | CERN-EN/STI || Fax.: +41.22.76.69474 |
> | 1211 Geneva 23 || e-mail: Alfredo.Ferrari_at_cern.ch |
> | Switzerland || |
>
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015, Vasilis Vlachoudis wrote:
>
>> Hi Jean Emmanuel,
>>
>> the best is the output from DELTARAY. You can always increase the
>> tabulation by altering the WHAT(2) and/or WHAT(3)
>>
>> If you want to calculate with simulation (which is no-brainer in this
>> case) but just for the fun of it
>> - create a very thin geometry (e.g. thickness 10um) of WATER (use the
>> default water material from FLUKA)
>> - turn off the EMF (with EMF-OFF)
>> - increase the dp/dx tabulation with the DELTARAY
>> - set your proton beam at 30MeV
>> - increase the inelastic/elastic interaction thresholds to something
>> higher than your beam with THRESHOLD
>> - score with USRBIN by region the total energy deposited
>> divide your region-energy by your target thickness
>> I've got 18.76 MeV/cm with 1e7 protons
>>
>> Vasilis

Dr. Andrea Fontana                    tel: +39 0382 987991
Istituto Nazionale                    fax: +39 0382 423241
di Fisica Nucleare
Sezione di Pavia                      e-mail: andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it
Via Bassi 6                           web   : www.pv.infn.it/~fontana
27100 PAVIA, Italy