[fluka-discuss]: Biasing Air Activation

From: Felix Ernst Horst <felix.ernst.horst_at_kmub.thm.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:35:55 +0200

Dear FLUKA experts,

I'm trying to determine air activation from photonuclear interactions in
a bremsstrahlung field generated by 18 MeV electrons.
I'm scoring via RESNUCLE over a large air volume (some m^3). For CPU
time reduction i have set a high EMFCUT (8 MeV).

I tried to bias the production of O-15 (production threshold 15.7 MeV)
and N-13 (production threshold 10.5 MeV) with LAM-Bias, but even with a
reduction of the interaction length for photons in air by a factor of
10^9 i still can't see any O-15 in the output and N-13 has still a large
statistical uncertainty after 5E9 primary electrons.

The activation products generated in the air volume by capture of
photoneutrons have good statistics although i did not apply any biasing
here.

That is my LAM-BIAS card:

LAM-BIAS 1E-9 AIR PHOTON

Is a factor of 10^9 overbiased or still too low here?
Are there any hints for biasing such problems?

Thank you in advance and regards

Felix

--
Felix Horst, B.Sc.
Institut für Medizinische Physik und Strahlenschutz (IMPS)