RE: [fluka-discuss]: Minimum thickness of a layer in the target

From: Joachim Vollaire <joachim.vollaire_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 07:02:52 +0000

Dear Mehdi
I see two suggestions for your problem.
First concerning the production be sure to use pointwise cross section for B-10 (see the corresponding section of the manual):

10.3.3} Generation of charged particles
Recoil protons and protons from N(n,p) reaction are produced and
transported explicitly, taking into account the detailed kinematics
of elastic scattering, continuous energy loss with energy straggling,
delta ray production, multiple and single scattering.

The same applies to light fragments (alpha,3-H) from neutron
capture in 6-Li and 10-B, if pointwise transport has been
requested by the user. All other charged secondaries, including
fission fragments, are not transported but their energy is deposited
at the point of interaction (kerma approximation).

Now concerning the thickness of your target, I suggest to pay attention to the threshold for delta ray production (see command DELTARAY) and the transport threshold for electron /positron.

https://indico.cern.ch/event/334606/contribution/9/attachments/653346/898375/AdvancedSettings2014.pdf

Greetings
Joachim