Re: FLUKA: Too big material number

To "Alberto Fasso'" <Alberto.Fasso@cern.ch>, "fluka" <fluka-discuss@listbox.cern.ch>
From Fan Lei <flei@scs.dera.gov.uk>
Date Wed, 6 Jun 2001 13:49:50 +0100
References <Pine.LNX.4.21.0106061341080.13946-100000@lxplus006.cern.ch >
Reply-To "Fan Lei" <flei@scs.dera.gov.uk>
Sender owner-fluka-discuss@listbox.cern.ch

>Concerning the geometry error messages, it is possible that they are
>connected with the unusual size of your geometry. We are still
>investigating them.

Dear Albeto,

I was also thinking alone this line. The dynamical range of my geometry may
have excceded the limits in fluka?

I am doing  a debug of the geometry with a gid of 1E3x1E3x1E3 following the
advice
from Paolo Sala, but it seems to take a very long time and I am still
waiting for the execution
to complete after more than four hours cpu time on a Pentium 500MH machine.

>One small remark: it is none of my business, but I have the
>impression that you are trying to simulate a cosmic air shower
>produced by a proton entering the atmosphere (if I am wrong, please ignore
>what follows).
>Only, the direction of the incident particle in your input is along the Z
>axis, which is directed AWAY from the center of the Earth. You should
>set SDUM = NEGATIVE in card BEAMPOS in order to have it directed as -Z.

You are quite right! My aim is to similate the propagation of solar flare
prorons in
the atmosphere, and of course i would like to do the same to cosmic rays for
comparison.
For these simulations I need to specify the incident particles following
given distributions
in energy and in direction. That's why i asked for help on how to make use
of the source.f
in my previous email. Thanks for sending me the yet to be published manual.
I have alrady
had a go in changing the source.f and have succeeded  in running the
modified FLUKA.
However I do have a couple of questions to ask:
1) To check whether my own source.f is being used or not I follwing the
suggestion in the
manual to have a print out statement
    WRITE(LUNOUT,*) ' users source.f being used '
But i don't see the message is being printed out on screen. From simulation
results I know
that modified source.f HAS BEEN used. Where the message has gone and where
is the value
of  LUNOUT is defined?
2) In using FLRNDM(XXX), is the variable XXX relevant? or is it really true
that it can be
any variale name. How the radom number generator is controled?

Regards.

Fan

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent correspondence is
private and is intended solely for the intended recipient(s). For those other
than the intended recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any
action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful.

Your name :
Your email :
Subject :