Re: FLUKA: number of regions

To fluka-discuss@listbox.cern.ch
From Alberto Fasso' <Alberto.Fasso@cern.ch>
Date Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:18:29 +0200 (CEST)
In-Reply-To <Pine.LNX.3.95a.1010807100445.15445A-100000@lxplus005.cern.ch >
Reply-To "Alberto Fasso'" <Alberto.Fasso@cern.ch>
Sender owner-fluka-discuss@listbox.cern.ch

Lev,

If the number of regions is more than 1000 but less than 10000 (as in your
case) the solution is to put a GLOBAL card at the beginning of your input.
The following is extracted from the manual:

 {GLOBAL}

     Makes a global declaration about the present run, setting some
     important parameters that must be defined before array memory
     allocation

     Note: GLOBAL declarations, if present, must precede any executable
           option

     WHAT(1)   = maximum number of regions (must be =< 10000)
                 Default: 1000

[................................... skip ...............................]

     Notes:    In most cases the user should not worry about the number
               of geometry regions. Despite the fact that FLUKA input
               does not follow any specific order, the program is able to
               manage initialization of all geometry-dependent arrays
               by allocating temporary areas of memory even before the
               actual dimensions of the problem are known. The unused parts
               of such areas are recovered at a later time when the whole
               input has been read. However, if the number of regions is
               very large (> 1000), the program needs to be informed in order
               to increase the size of such temporary areas. This information
               must be given at the very beginning: therefore GLOBAL
               (together with DEFAULTS and MAT-PROP) is a rare exception to
               the rule that the order of FLUKA input cards is free.

               The "hard" limit of 10000 regions represents the maximum that
               can be obtained without recompiling the program. It can be
               overriden, but only by increasing the value of variable
               MXXRGN in the INCLUDE file DIMPAR and recompiling the whole
               code. In this case, however, it is likely that the size of
               variable NBLNMX in INCLUDE file BLNKCM will have to be
               increased too.

Regards,

   Alberto

--
Alberto Fassò
CERN-EP/AIP, CH-1211 Geneve 23 (Switzerland)

Your name :
Your email :
Subject :
Body :