Re: FLUKA: Production of Hydrogen

To fluka-discuss@cern.ch
From Alberto Fasso' <Alberto.Fasso@cern.ch>
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:14:32 +0200 (CEST)
In-Reply-To <3B8C9DFE.818B1DAE@psi.ch >
Reply-To "Alberto Fasso'" <Alberto.Fasso@cern.ch>
Sender owner-fluka-discuss@listbox.cern.ch

Dear Yann,

H-1 is a "nucleus" but is also a proton, i.e. "a particle".
Therefore, it is difficult to score as a residual nucleus.
For instance:
- a 10 GeV proton produced in a spallation reaction, shall it be scored
  as a residual nucleus?
- a neutron scatters with a hydrogen nucleus and produces a recoil.
  Is the recoil a residual nucleus?
- a proton interacts with a nucleus and makes a (p,n) reaction. The
  proton has disappeared: should it still be scored as a residual
  nucleus?
  (To be honest, it will soon be possible to say the same about
  deuterons, tritons and alphas, as soon as their nuclear interactions
  will be implemented, as planned. We will have to find a solution
  to this).

Anyway, one way to attack your problem could be to score
separately "stopping protons" (protons reaching energy cutoff). This is
possible using the MGDRAW user routine. Unfortunately it will not be a
complete solution, because you will still be missing protons produced
in low energy neutron reactions, which FLUKA does not generate
explicitely. (But it will catch the hyrogen recoils, although I am not
sure that it is a desirable feature for you)

Alberto

--
Alberto Fassò
CERN-EP/AIP, CH-1211 Geneve 23 (Switzerland)

Your name :
Your email :
Subject :
Body :