Re: Muon production in FLUKA

From: Alfredo Ferrari (alfredo.ferrari@cern.ch)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 09:13:23 CEST

    Hi Graham

    I am going to do two things: a) forward you a proposal from Alberto on how
    to correct the manual, so you can help in telling us if it is clear
    or help in making it better
    b) answer your second point.

                   Ciao
                  Alfredo

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Graham Roger Stevenson wrote:

    > Hi Alfredo
    >
    > Your explanation was somewhat clearer than the manual - I suppose it's a
    > truism to say that all manuals are only understood by those who write
    > them!
    >
    > I agree that sampling the position from the biased decay length is correct
    > if you allow the parent to go on decaying. From the manual I understood
    > that only one muon would be created per pion, and in a test run I made
    > there was only one. But I have just drastically shortened the biased
    > decay length and got many more muons. Perhaps an additional sentence in
    > the manual for idiots like me would help.
    >
    > Could you find time please for the second question, how do I pick up the
    > birth and interaction/death points of pions and kaons so that I can decay
    > them myself? In this way I can enhance the muons selectively from
    > different regions and choose the number of muons created per parent.
    > GDECAY appears to work globally and not on a region by region basis.
    > I remember you taught me one that the way round this was to effectively
    > "kill" hadrons in unwanted regions using "anti" region importance
    > weighting, but I would like to leave the hadron cascade unscathed.
    >

    > Very many thanks for your help
    >
    > Ciao, Graham

    |  Alfredo Ferrari                ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119                  |
    |  CERN-AB                        ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555                  |
    |  1211 Geneva 23                 ||  e-mail: Alfredo.Ferrari@cern.ch        |
    |  Switzerland                    ||          Alfredo.Ferrari@mi.infn.it     |