Re: Problem in heat deposition in windoew region

From: Alberto Fasso' (fasso@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 19:25:50 CEST

    The energy deposition profile is a continuous function of distance
    from beam axis. When you score energy deposited in bins, you are
    averaging over the bin size: as in any discrete approximation to a
    continuous function, to get results independent of the bin width,
    the latter should be such that the variation of the profile be
    about negligible over that width.
    This is impossible to achieve near the axis if you are using a "pencil"
    beam, i.e. a beam of zero width. But a real beam has always a finite
    width: if you input the actual beam width, you can probably get
    a good binning with a width smaller than that of the beam.
    Remember also that delta rays tend to spread the energy deposition:
    so you will get a better result if you set a low delta ray threshold.
    In this case, you can choose a bin width equal to a fraction of the
    average delta ray range.

    Alberto

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Dipanwita Dutta wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > We are running FLUKA to get the heat deposition in a thin T91
    > window having a spherical shape and thickness of 1.5 mm and dia 6 cm. We
    > want to know the radial heat profile. We are using USRBIN with R-Z
    > binning. But we notice that heat density per cm^3 highly depends on the
    > bin size. Can somebody suggest what may be the proper choice of
    > binning and bin size? What may the proper way of getting the
    > heat profile which does not depend upon the bin width?
    >
    > regds,
    > Dipanwita
    > | Dr. Dipanwita Dutta | Phone: 91-22-25592041 (Off.) |
    > | Scientific Officer | 91-22-25589546 (Res.) |
    > | Nuclear Physics Division | |
    > | Bhabha Atomic Research Centre | Email: ddutta@apsara.barc.ernet.in |
    > | Trombay, Mumbai-400085, India | dutta_dipa03@yahoo.com |

    Alberto Fassò
    SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025
    Phone: (1 650) 926 4762   Fax: (1 650) 926 3569
    fasso@slac.stanford.edu