Kinks in neutron momentum distribution

From: Joseph Comfort (Joseph.Comfort@asu.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2007 - 21:22:43 CET

    I am looking a particle production for the 30-GeV proton beam on a
    nickel target, about 5 cm thick. We are especially interested in
    neutrons, including low-energy ones. I am using the PRECISION option
    (and no LOW-BIAS card).

    Attached is a pdf figure of an expanded portion of the neutron (and
    photon) momentum distribution. There are a couple of kinks near 200
    MeV/c and 1 GeV/c. The lower one is probably the break at 19.6 MeV
    energy; the second one is near 400-500 MeV.

    Do the kinks represent changes in algorithms. How seriously should I
    take them? Are there ways to smooth them out? I will probably
    parameterize the distribution in some way, after acquiring some more
    events. It is not clear if I need to incorporate the kinks, or go
    smoothly across them.

    Thank you,
    Joe Comfort