Re: [fluka-discuss]: muon + mgdraw

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 22:03:48 +0200

Dear Andrea,

Giuseppe's answer makes clear that USERDUMP/mgdraw is an advanced scoring,
to be properly customized on user's responsibility, and is the last tool
to use in order to tackle a problem. One should first understand what is
going on through the built-in scoring options, such as USRYIELD, USRTRACK,
USRBIN, USRBDX, which may also be enough depending on the actual needs.
Moreover, the use of biasing implies to handle yourself the statistical
weights, that instead in the built-in scoring are automatically accounted
for.

I guess that your muon production comes from bremsstrahlung photons, you
ask for mu+/mu- pair production (as only production mechanism), but also
photon nuclear interactions (through further pion decay) may be relevant.
For this you need PHOTONUC with SDUM empty. Forget about ELECTNUC that is
actually not available in the released version and plays a role for thin
targets.

I'm not sure that the use of leading particle biasing (EMF-BIAS) is a good
idea, since this way you just tend to kill bremsstrahlung photons. On the
other hand, tracking electrons and photons down to 10 keV and 1 keV,
respectively, has nothing to do with muons and makes your CPU time
explode.
I do not understand either the use of RADDECAY, since you do not seem to
be interested in radioactive nuclei.

Concerning muon reinteractions, MUPHOTON and PAIRBREM are useless with
PRECISIO, since the respective processes are already on.

So I suggest you clean your input focusing on the relevant physics levers,
including photon interaction length biasing (with LAM-BIAS for nuclear
interactions and directly PHOTONUC for mu+/mu- pair production), and put
an instructive USRYIELD scoring at the exit of your lead target.

Kind regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI