RE: [fluka-discuss]: how to plot sliced geom (2D) in ROOT

From: Joachim Vollaire <joachim.vollaire_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:47:15 +0000

Hi
I have been using ROOT to plot results from FLUKA in the past. It requires to invest a little bit of time. The file you provided is generated by FLAIR I think, not sure about the information it contains…

My approach was to run FLUKA with a PLOTGEOM card (followed by a STOP card not to run the actual problem with transport), and then obtain a file which looks like the one in attachment. The PLOTGEOM card parameters must be adapted to the “slice” of the geometry you want to obtain (and overlay results with).
The next interesting step is to write a routine which reads this output file (generated by PLOTGEOM it ends in “.STORE”….).

Have a look at the PLOTGEOM card in the FLUKA manual, it explains the format of this file with the concepts of “worms”. For plotting with ROOT, I was plotting the worms with a succession of TLine on the same TCanvas where I was plotting the colour plot from FLUKA (TH2). For the colour plot I was converting the file containing the results in asci (usbrea) and use the ascii to create the TH2…
(I had done all those steps before FLAIR was available…)

Also note that there is a GUI available to do some plotting with ROOT….
http://www.fluka.org/content/tools/FlukaGUI.html

Hoping this help.
Greetings
Joachim