Re: [fluka-discuss]: DOSE AT A POINT FROM A LINE SOURCE

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 18:13:44 +0200

Dear Riya Dey
I did not go through the comparison, but there is something strange about
your source term: looks like all photons are generated in the positive Z
direction, going away from the tally, instad of being isotropically
distributed. In the attached plot you can see the photon fluence in the
Z-X plane.
I would suggest to check the sampling of direction cosines
Regards
Paola

> Dear FLUKA Experts,
>
> While making a simple simulation for the calculation of dose at a receptor
> at a distance 5 m below a line source of length 100 m , photon energy = 1
> MeV, the Dose-Eq result from FLUKA output is 1.36E-05. Since the detector
> size is taken as 10 cm radius of sphere, the actual dose-eq value for a
> point detector will be 1.36 E-05 divided by volume of the detector (=
> result is 3.246E-21 Sv per primary).
>
> If the source is having an activity of 1 Bq/m, then the final result of
> dose
> at a point below the line source is 3.246E-21 Sv multiplied by the length
> of
> the source i.e. 100 m = 3.24E-19 Sv/sec . Since this is a standard simple
> source configuration, the data can be obtained from the theoretical
> calculation and the theoretical result is 3.5393E-17 Sv/sec.
>

> Can you help me to point out why this discrepancy is occurring ??
>

> With regards,
>
> Riya Dey

Paola Sala
INFN Milano