RE: [fluka-discuss]: Transport of primary photons below 1 keV

From: Thomas Frosio <thomas.frosio_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 08:51:31 +0000

Dear Paola,

Thank you very much for your answer, I just have an additional question but before, I will explain you why I need to do this to be more specific.

The objective is to compute dose for a source at 1 cm from the scoring position.
I know that gamma dose is an indirect dose and is in fact coming from energy transmitted in electrons of the medium.
Then, the dose scored is the energy deposition of these electrons in the medium.
It is why I score E+&E- doses.
I score the E+&E- dose in GeV/g/pr and then transform it in Sv/h/pr.
I observed that, for primary gamma of some MeV the E+&E- dose is very close to the one of gamma of 1 keV.
So I wanted to be sure wether I can or not neglect doses coming from gamma below 1 keV.

Now is my additional question:
I tried to do the calculation as you suggested but I don't have any result (value = 0, uncertainty = 0).
I score E+&E- doses for gamma emitted at 990 eV for example, and I use the following options in EMFCUT:
-Production ant transport threshold for gamma 0.5 keV
-Production and transport threshold for e+e- 0.5 keV
Unfortunately, it seems that electrons are not simulated.
Are secondary electrons below 1 keV transported/produced?
Do you have an idea or a tip to perform this calculation?

I thank you,
Best regards,
Thomas