[fluka-discuss]: Importance Biasing

From: Luis Eduardo Gonzalez Amoros <luisgona_at_alumni.uv.es>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:25:36 +0200

Dear Fluka experts,

I am trying to get introduced into the importance biasing and since it is a delicate thing, I want to make sure I am doing the things right.

I have seen examples of a hospital LINAC shielding and they used the biasing for the wall and for the first layer of exterior air; they used the importance biasing for neutrons only. However, if you want to calculate the equivalent dose, applying the importance biasing only to neutrons won't give you an unreal equivalent dose distribution (since you are multiplying the number of neutrons reaching the wall and therefore, the equivalent dose deposited by the particles generated from them but not by the rest of the particles)? Wouldn't it be more correct to apply importance biasing for all particles? Am I understanding something wrong?

Best regards,

Luis