Re: [fluka-discuss]: simulation of Bremsstrahlung spectra from beta radiation

From: Maria Ilaria Besana <maria.ilaria.besana_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 18:30:51 +0000

Dear Riya,

you can certainly use USRBDX for to estimate the spectra.

At the energy you are considering the emission of a bremsstrahlung photon does not occur often.
To improve your statistics you can consider to use biasing to increase the probability of bremsstrahlung.
In particular you can use EMF-BIAS card with SDUM = LAMBBREM (LAMbda Biasing for BREMsstrahlung interactions).
You can reduce the mean free path for electron and positron bremsstrahlung by a given factor (specified in WHAT(1)).
You can also set the generation up to which the biasing has to be applied (WHAT(3)).
The weights of both the incident and the secondary particle are automatically adjusted according to the ratio between the biased and the physical interaction probability at the sampled distance.
Please have a look at the EMF-BIAS card in the manual for more details.

For what concerns the Emax and Emin values in the USRBDX, I would use as maximum the maximum energy of your problem (0.15 MeV) and as minimum the transport threshold, for both electrons and photons.

Best regards,
Ilaria