Re: [fluka-discuss]: Optical photons

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 10:58:52 +0200

Dear Ana

apologies for the delay in answering.

I have the impression that the input you sent was not the final one,
because of a few inconsistencies.

Anyhow, if you did get optical photons in prompt simulations, and you
did not get them in decay simulation: in order to score delayed (from
radioactive decay) products, one has to associate the relevant detectors
to delayed radiation through a DCYSCORE card. In your case,
semi-analogue decay, one has to set what(1)=-1. in order to score both
prompt and radioactive products. otherwise, only prompt radiation is
scored. Only exception is the DETECT card, that always scores everything.

Inconsistencies in the input"

- Cerenkov production is not activated, thus cerenkov photons are not
produced. One has to issue an OPT-PROD card with SDUM=CEREN-WV (if input
in wavelength, other possibilities exist)

- HI-PROPE is issued, however the BEAM card selects ELECTRONS.
Therefore, electrons will be transported. One should write ISOTOPE in
the beam SDUM instead.

- IRRPROFI has no meaning with ISOTOPE beam. (see note 8 in the BEAM
card description in the manual)

- in the DETECT card, you set what(6) negative, meaning that you need an
anti-coincidence between two regions. I do not think that this is what
you want.

- the USRBDX card must be defined on a boundary between two regions,. In
your case, you have the same region for "in" and"out", which has no
meaning. We'll protect this in the next respin.

- Beam width has no meaning in the BEAM card if SPHE-VOL is used.
Instead, it would be better to add a first BEAMPOS card with blank SDUM
to be sure that the centre of the sphe-vol is the one wished.

- I see that your detector has the shape of a  cube: you can use the
CART-VOL sdum in BEAMPOS if you wish to cover exactly the detector region.

- the SCORE card does not score the number or fluence of selected
particles, rather it "Defines the (generalised) particles producing the
stars to be scored in each region. Requests scoring of energy deposition
in each region."

where a star is an inelatic interaction.

Hope this helps

Paola