Total beginners's question

From: Mauro Alves <mauro_at_sepn.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:08:49 +0000

--_12026d79-1800-42e5-a70b-6e4ec7b65e0a_

Dear FLUKA users=2C
I am a total beginners in the study of particle/nuclear physics and Monte
Carlo Method to study the transport of particles through a medium.
I was given the task of studying/simulating the transport of neutrons
produced by primary cosmic rays through the atmospher. It seems to be a "simpler"
problem than most of you have to deal with.
I would like to know if FLUKA is the best free software for this type of
simulation.
I've heard also of another free source code called GEANT. Is there any
difference between it and FLUKA? I am fluent in both Fortran and C++
 so programming language is not an issue.
Many thanks for your attention!
Mauro