Re: Problems of Y-90 beta source with FLUKA

From: Mary Chin <mchin_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:34:14 +0200

Hai Guoqing,

I tested with:

- a 1 MeV electron source;

- a 2 keV electron source.
In both cases FLUKA ran 2 to 5 times faster.

For the 1 MeV run, both MCNPX and FLUKA simulated EM showers consisting of
Moller, bremsstrahlung, Compton, photo-electric etc. Note, however, that
for the 2 keV run, MCNPX simulated hardly any interactions (we can see
this in the particle creation tables). Under such circumstances the
simulation would surely finish in a flash.

I see that this post is similar to your earlier one,'Why is FLUKA slower
than MCNPX?' which Alberto had responded to. I therefore take the liberty
to add that Class I versus class II (a term used by the EGS community) or
random-hinge (the term used by the PENELOPE community) is not only about
the implicit/explicit simulation of Mollers, but also bremsstrahlungs. In
MCNPX one can turn on/off Moller and/or bremsstrahlung too; the switches
are in the PHYS:E card.

:) mary