Problems of Y-90 beta source with FLUKA

From: <zhangguoqing01_at_tsinghua.org.cn>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:24:53 +0800 (CST)

Dear FLUKA Users,

I am using FLUKA to make simulations with a Y-90 beta source. The geometry
is rather simple: one point Y-90 source inside a two-layer shielding,
which include 1 mm plexiglass and 1 mm lead.

The simulation runs very slow. To speed up the simulation, someone told me
that I can turn the delta-production off by setting a production cut
higher than the maximum source energy, but this seems not possible. I
found in the following link that FLUKA will automatically set the
transport threshold equal to the production one.
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/3678.html

It's written in the FLUKA manual (pp. 8) that the lowest energy of primary
electrons is about several tens of keV. When I use the multiple scattering
transport, the electron current on the outer surface of the shielding
looks strange. In the first energy bin, the current is abnormally high
(see the attachment). If single scattering transport is used, the peak at
the first bin disappears. The problem is the single scattering transport
is extremely slow. Can somebody tell me how to get rid of the strange peak
and make the simulation faster?

Thanks a lot!

Vielen Dank!

Image_020.png