Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to determine the fraction of deposited energy going into ith scintillation photon emission in the "OPT-PROD" card?

From: Anna Ferrari <a.ferrari_at_hzdr.de>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 14:37:59 +0100

Dear Xiaokun Zhao,

I think you can find already the answer in my previous email, in any case I
repeat here explicitly.

When you chose OPT-PROD card with sdum=SCINT-WV this means that in what(1) you
have to provide the wavelength of the (first) scintillating photons emitted.
In the example that you cite this is 1.280E-05 cm. From this you can calculate
the energy of the scintillating photons:

E=hc/lambda=9.686 eV

If the experimental data tells yo that the light yield is N_ph photons per MeV
of deposited energy (with N_ph/MeV = 2 x 10^4 in the example), then the
fraction of deposited energy that must go in scintillating photons is:

9.686 eV x N_ph/10^6 eV = 2 x 9.686 10^-2

Except the factor 2, this is the value you find in the example
(now I don't know where this factor 2 comes from -maybe because only half
energy is supposed to produce the first scintillating line?- but I don't think
this is really relevant for you: the important thing is the procedure.
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong!).

Hope it helps,
kind regards
Anna

Am Fri, 1 Nov 2013 20:28:42 +0800 (CST) schrieb 赵晓坤 <zhaoxk_at_mail.ustc.edu.cn>:

> Dear FLUKA experts,
> Hello!
> Now,I want to use the "OPT-PROD" card to set some optical properties of
>specified materials. When the SDUM is set to "SCINT-WV" ,we can set the
>"fraction of deposited energy going into ith scintillation photon emission".
>I see an example in the chapter12,it gives us the light yield(20000
>photons/MeV),but set the "fraction of deposited energy going into ith
>scintillation photon emission" to 9.686E-02. Why?
> What I want to know is if know the the light yield(like 20000
>photons/MeV), how can I determine the "fraction of deposited energy going
>into ith scintillation photon emission"?
> Best regards!
> Xiaokun Zhao

Dr. Anna Ferrari
Institute of Radiation Physics
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf e.V.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
D - 01328 Dresden (Germany)
Tel. +49 351 260 2872