[fluka-discuss]: RESNUCL with LAM-BIAS

From: <hayley.smith_at_stfc.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 16:44:29 +0000

Hi

I am trying to look at the residual nuclei produced when a 70 MeV proton beam repeatedly passes through a thin (on the order of microns) foil. I am trying to understand the different residuals, and proportions of residuals, produced by different foil materials (carbon, aluminium etc) and I have a few questions about my methods:

From reading many of the previous FLUKA discuss posts I have understood that on these short length scales it is necessary to use LAM-BIAS to reduce the nuclear interaction length. At 70 MeV the .out file showed that the inelastic interaction length was 34.31 cm in carbon so I reduced the interaction length by 1e-6 using the LAM-BIAS card. Is this a reasonable scaling factor?

I am now looking at the RESNUCL output that I get but am confused about interpreting the results, even after consulting previous discussion list posts and the notes from the most recent course. I have tried repeating the simulation with LAM-BIAS for different numbers of primary particles (1000 - 50000) and different scaling factors to get an understanding. In my simulation I assume a proton distribution of 1.25e15 protons per second. I have looked at the .out files and .lis files but I am still unsure - do I need to apply any weighting to the RESNUCL output or has this already been taken into account when the Bq/cc are processed?

And are there any other settings that I may be missing in my very simple input file (attached) that would allow me to get a useful simulation of the residuals?

Many thanks for any clarification you are able to give,

Hayley

Hayley Smith
ISIS Facility
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Harwell Oxford
OX11 0QX

01235 445524
hayley.smith_at_stfc.ac.uk<mailto:hayley.smith_at_stfc.ac.uk>