Re: [fluka-discuss]: reduction of number of materials while using dicom images

From: Thiago Viana Miranda Lima <thiago.vmlima_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 12:31:11 +0000

Hi Minal,

Flair/Fluka is not capable to define regions in the same manner as you are describing. You can, as Wioletta, mentioned use the Dicom tool to correlate the different CT number to a different composition. This will create regions and assignment directly. So you do not need to manually input what is what in the regions. If you open the vxl file this assignment is already present there. Have a look at Schneider's segmentation paper [1]. After the MC run, you would have to do a post-processing to segment the regions you are interested.

One suggestion, if you have for example the delimitation of the different organs (in radiotherapy it is in the RTstruct file) you can sample the positions of each organ on the final usrbin results and display individual organs results.

Best wishes
Thiago

[1] Schneider W, Bortfeld T, Schlegel W. Correlation between CT numbers and tissue parameters needed for Monte Carlo simulations of clinical dose distributions. Phys. Med. Biol. 2000;45:459–78. [PubMed<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10701515>]