[fluka-discuss]: RHOR factor vs CORRFACT

From: Ferreira De Almeida Lourenco, Ana <am.lourenco_at_ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 11:07:42 +0000

Dear Fluka experts,

I'm simulating in FLUKA a proton beam (energies ranging from 60-250 MeV) on a phantom made of water. The phantom is divided into different water regions with different mass densities (all regions have same composition, same I-value, same Sternheimer density effect parameters).

For the purpose of my simulations, I need to have homogeneous atomic properties through the phantom, i. e. the cross sections must be independent of the density. For that, I override the RHOR factor (from MAT-PROP) so RHOR*RHO is the same in all the regions of the phantom.

The manual states:

WHAT(2) = RHOR factor : this factor multiplies the density of the
              material(s) when calculating the density effect parameters

Is the RHOR factor just used to calculate the density effect on stopping power, or are other density-dependent properties also included?

How can I make sure that the cross sections are independent of the density (nuclear interactions, scattering, etc)? By looking at the CORRFACT description it seems to me that this card could do the job but I have been advised in the past to not use it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks,

Ana