Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to calculate LET

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 16:10:35 +0200

Dear Meghnath Sen,
The parameters in the USRYIELD card can be easily guessed by reading the
manual and using Flair. As example:
USRYIELD 123. PROTON -23. VOID DETECT
USRYIELD 100. 0.0 100. 1. 0. 3. &

However:
- In your input, the source is isotropic and far away from a small
radiator+detector. The probability to have a neutron reaching the radiator
is fractions of permill, to be multiplied by the reaction probability..
Probably if you tried your input you could not score anything. Try
reducing the emission solid angle. To do this, it would be much better to
build the geometry so that the preferential axis is the z axis (the
standard beam axis for fluka) instead of the y axis.
- A warning: neutrons below 20 MeV, only protonds generated by reactions
on Hydrogen will be visible, the ones generated on Carbon are not
transported.

Hope this helps
Paola
> Hi,
> I am interested to calculate the LET (KeV/micron) of recoil proton
> (generated from interaction of neutron of energy 10 MeV with a thin
> polyethylene radiator) within a detector having material as PMMA.
> Fluka manual states that using USRYIELD card LET can be calculated. What
> parameters I should set in that card ??
> I have attached the corresponding input file . Can anyone please help me
> to solve the problem.....
>
> thanks in advance,
> Meghnath Sen
> ​Scientific Officer