RE: [fluka-discuss]: Normalizing fluence from USRBDX

From: Philippe Schoofs <philippe.schoofs_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 08:27:21 +0000

Hello there,

The results given by a USRBDX scoring are already normalized. In the case of a double differential distribution, as you pointed out, the results are given per unit of solid angle, and per unit of energy. Then you say " Taking the last step should be normalizing against the cm^-2 part". I don't get why you want to do that. The units of fluence are the inverse of a surface so you shouldn't get rid of it. It's like saying you measure the distance between the earth and the sun and then want to get rid of the "m" unit.

Why would you want to multiply your fluence ? What is the value you are looking for ?
If we come back to one of the definitions of fluence that was linked by Mario in his answer to your previous query, we can see this sentence
"In dosimetric calculations, fluence is frequently expressed in terms of the lengths of the particle trajectories. It can be shown that the fluence, Phi, is given by
 Phi = dl/dV,
where dl is the sum of the particle trajectory lengths in the volume dV".

Without knowing what you really want to obtain, I can only answer that you don't need any further normalization.

Hope this helps
Philippe