Re: [fluka-discuss]:

From: Mikhail Polkovnikov <pmk_at_ihep.ru>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 16:40:01 +0300

On 26.10.2016 00:19, Panthi, Rajesh wrote:
> Dear FLUKA users,
>
> I am trying to understand the fragmentation of primary ions while
> propagating a beam of ions (such as a proton, C-12, O-16, Fe-56, etc)
> through water or similar media. I am doing this for different energies
> of beam considered and more interested in 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 and 1.0
> GeV/n. To begin with, I scored absorbed dose along the axis of beam
> propagation using USRBIN card.
> For a proton beam passing through water, I got the following result
> for absorbed dose scored using USRBIN card. I have also attached my
> input file "proton.inp".
> If these were the result of heavy ions such as Fe-56, I guess, we
> would expect such result (changing of Bragg peak with the increase of
> beam energy) because of the primary ions fragmentation and
> contribution to the absorbed dose due to low Z ions created. But with
> a proton beam why am I getting this kind of result? Could you please
> take a look at my input file and suggest me if I am doing something wrong?
> Also, how do I choose correctly the linker (lfluka, lflukac, ldpmqmd,
> ldpm2qmd, ldpm3qmd) for this kind of problem while compiling, and
> other cards?
>

> Inline image 2
> Kindly,
>
> Rajesh Panthi

Dear Rajesh,

There was a similar question for Bragg peak:
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/8040.html
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/8041.html

Such result for proton beam because of hadronic cascade in water
(production of pions) when the energy of proton beam is high enough to
produce pions and other mesons.

Best regards,

Mikhail