Re: Optical Photon Production by Scintillator Material, need help

From: Nicholas Bolibruch <nicholas.bolibruch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 11:44:58 -0600

Hi Vahan,

Here are the issues with your input:

1) your source is at 20 MeV, and is isotropic. If you test it with a beam,
make sure its in the positive direction, and set the primaries lower as the
processing time is ~2 hrs on an i7 if it's made directional with your
current settings. Using the SENSITIV sdum on OPT-PROP you can probably
lower the OPT-PHOT production (and reduce CPU load) if you are trying to
make other measurements at the same time in your simulation.

2) when entering in the wavelengths for the OPT-PROP (sdum WV-LIMITS) cards
you want them in cm, they were all entered in as meters, you technically
don't need them to run the simulation

3) same issue with OPT-PROD (sdum SCINT-WV), it was also in meters. This
card is very much needed.

4) you explained you want an electron beam. But you have the source card
set to isotropic at 20 MeV. :-)

5) You need to set an appropriate upper and lower energy in the USRBDX card
for binning the optical wavelengths. I usually use 1E-9 to 1E-8 initially.

6) You may want to set an OPT-PROP (sdum blank) card to set an index of
refraction, absorption and diffusion coefficients. This will increase the
processing time per particle however.

Hope this helps.

--Nick