fluka dies for (apparently) no reason

From: Manuel Rodríguez Pascual <manuel.rodriguez.pascual_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 11:56:43 +0200

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing some problems when executing Fluka that I have
been unable to locate.

I intend to run Fluka on different machines, but it sometimes fails and
sometimes not.

I have performed this experiments on two ways: the first way is copying to
every machine the application already compiled with no library dependences,
and the second one is by copying the source code

> and compiling it on every machine. Input file is always the same one, has
been obtained from fluka's web and executed with no modifications.

Fluka starts correctly, displaying something like (simplified for
readability)

./flutil/rfluka -N0 -M5 input_file.inp

$TARGET_MACHINE = Linux

> $FLUPRO = (...) fluka_compiled

> $PEMF = (...) /fluka_compiled/libec_thihecufealw_10t.pemf

Initial seed copied from (...) fluka_compiled

> Running fluka in / (...) /fluka_compiled/fluka_10448

> File (...) /fluka_compiled/sigmapi.bin exists and it is not a link!

> File (...) fluka_compiled/elasct.bin exists and it is not a link!

> File (...) /fluka_compiled/nuclear.bin exists and it is not a link!

> File (...) /fluka_compiled/fluodt.dat exists and it is not a link!

> File (...) /fluka_compiled/neuxsc-ind_260.bin exists and it is not a link!

> File (...) /fluka_compiled/xnloan.dat exists and it is not a link!

======================= Running FLUKA for cycle # 1 =======================

And now the problem arises:

> -In some cases, the application will continue its execution for
the desired five cycles, creating the input_file* error, out, log and
fort files.

> -But in other cases, the application immediately stops. No input_file*
is generated and no error message is produced (at least in stdout, stderr,
.log, .out or .err files).

The problem happens in the two aforementioned ways of executing Fluka on
different resources: copying the executable and copying the source and
compiling it on each resource. This makes me think that the problem is not
a compilation issue (although I'm not completely sure about this). The
input file is the same in all cases, making me think that it isn't either
the problem. So basically I have no clue of what's going on...

What am I exactly doing wrong? Is there any way of locating the problem,
debugging or something like that? is there any log where I can search for
information?

Thanks very much for your help. Best regards,

Manuel

> --

> Dr. Manuel Rodríguez-Pascual

> skype: manuel.rodriguez.pascual

> phone: (+34) 913466173 // (+34) 679925108

CIEMAT-Moncloa

> Edificio 22, desp. 1.25

> Avenida Complutense, 40

> 28040- MADRID