[fluka-discuss]: GCR_IONF source units

From: Roman Savinov <rsavinov_at_calpoly.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 04:29:39 +0000

dear Fluka experts,

Does anybody knows what are the units of the all-particle spectrum (GCR_IONF) source, i.e the proton spectrum found in the 01phi0465.spc file?

It looks like the unit is differential flux [ ion/cm^2/sec/sr/(MeV/amu) ] according to the plot from this paper (pg.2):

https://www.fluka.org/free_download/course/jlab2012/Lectures/17_Cosmic_Rays_0412.pdf

because when I plot 01phi0465.spc, it looks just like that figure. However, when I score it with USRBDX, the result, although has the same shape, is in order of magnitude 10^20 below the source. USRBDX yields differential fluence so how do I convert from differential flux to differential fluence?

do I integrate over time? If yes, what is the total time of observation?

Also, I noticed that the area of the target reported in sum.lis is erroneous:

http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/8613.html

and it is in about the same order of magnitude as a difference between the source and what I get with USRBDX, Maybe there is some connection?

thank you,

Roman