Re: FLUKA: Cross section output

To "FLUKA LIST @CERN" <fluka-discuss@listbox.cern.ch>
From Alberto Fasso' <fasso@slac.stanford.edu>
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:50:11 -0800 (PST)
In-reply-to <3A66C7E7.35D2C7E6@in2p3.fr >
Reply-To "Alberto Fasso'" <fasso@slac.stanford.edu>
Sender owner-fluka-discuss@listbox.cern.ch

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Laurent APHECETCHE wrote:

> Hi Alberto,
>
> Thank you very much for your answer.
> Indeed, if I understand correctly your mail, it seems impossible from
> this output to infer the (total) capture xsec itself, right ?

What do you mean by "(total) capture xsec"?
If you mean "(n,gamma) cross section", you get it as PNGAM*SIGT.
If you mean "absorption cross section", you can get it as (1-PNABS)*SIGT.
Or is it something else?

> Actually, I would have another question. Is it possible to investigate
> the influence of input neutron libraries, e.g. is it possible to produce
> a new set of such input libraries (for selected elements, I think first
> of 209Bi in my case) ? How much work would it be for me (is it
> feasible/desirable at all ?)

Everything is possible in principle, but this task requires a lot of
expertise and effort. The FLUKA cross sections have been generated, with a
lot of work, by a specialized center from the best evaluated cross
sections presently available.
It is not something that an "amateur" can easily do. You would need to
learn how to obtain and handle the evaluated files, how to run some very
complex programs, how to do a number of consistency checks... and then how
to adapt the results to the structure of the FLUKA cross sections, which
is non-standard and so far not documented.

Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso'
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center