RE:RE: RE: [fluka-discuss]: How to calculate LET(linear energy transfer) with voxel-by-voxel basis

From: Kyung-Nam Lee <leeronaldo_at_naver.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 13:33:10 +0900

Dear, Dr. Vittorio Boccone.

I really thank you for your quick and kind reply.

However, I think there is some mis-cummunication between us.

So, I would like to introduce some background and the reason why I have to do this work.

Most of all, my final goal through using fluka is calculation of Dose averaged LET at each voxel.

The reason why I have to know the quantity is for expecting biological effects like a RBE(relative biological effect).

I mean the quantity can be used for expecting or calculation of very important values in "Radiation Therapy" academic field, especially, heavy ion therapy field.

And, because we want to know expected biological effect at various position in the human body, we need to calculate the Dose averaged LET at each voxel.

These are the reason why we need to have Dose averaged LET and calculate at each voxel.

Although we would like to calculate Dose averaged LET at each voxel, given fluka scoring commands cannot give this quantity.

So, we try to use user routine as an alternative way for that work.

I hope these words can help us to clarify interesting points.

Also, I reply to your each specific comment.

1.[This external function is really deprecated and it's not used since very long time. This mean that trying to use it might give you other problems. This is why it is not given anymore with the code.]

==> OK!. I understand what you mean.^^

2. [I really don't see the point on why you want to do it manually. Voxel structure is only used for collecting up the scoring and defining the "regions" of where the material is. The steps on which the interactions and the scoring values are calculate are much smaller than the Voxel segmentation. I suggest you to read the introductory part of the manual to start to understand how FLUKA works. In addition you can profit from the pdf of the FLUKA schools if you go on the course page.]

==> As I mentioned, my final goal is calc. of Dose averaged LET. Calc. of particle LET is first step for calc. of Dose averaged LET. This is because Dose averaged LET can be defined by using LET like this formula(LET_d: Dose Averaged LET, LET: particle LET, D: absorbed dose by ith particle, D_total: Total dose at voxel).

This is why we have to use user routine and do it manually.

3. [I strongly discourage you to use this old routine. It's not even good for education purposes.

There are other routines where you can practice the usage of the COMMON variables, look at the advanced course lectures, there's also an exercise (with solution) that might help you on the way.]

==> Ok. I can see what you point out. I will look at materials for advanced course lectures. Thank you.^^

4. [If you want to build a custom LET map I'm afraid you need to do it by hand

http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/4807.html]

==> As you know, "SCORE" command cannot give Dose averaged LET.^^

Thank you for your reading.

Have a nice day!!~~^^

Best Regards,

Kyung-Nam Lee

Kyung-Nam Lee, M.S.

Research Physicist

Medical Physics Research Team

Division of Heavy Ion Clinical Researches

Korea Heavy Ion Medical Accelerator Project (KHIMA Project)

KOREA INSTITUTE of RADIOLOGICAL & MEDICAL SCIENCES (KIRAMS)

#215-4 Gongneung-dong Nowon-gu

Seoul 139-709, Korea

Tel: 82-2-970-1737

Fax: 82-2-970-1962

Mobile:82-10-6366-9161

E-Mail: leeronaldo_at_naver.com (with big file), leeronaldo_at_kirams.re.kr