[fluka-discuss]: Question about PHOTONUC and LAM-BIAS cards.

From: Jilberto Antonio Zamora Saá <jzamorasaa_at_jinr.ru>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 08:23:12 -0400

Dear fluka expert

I'm simulating 100 GeV electron beam impinging a Pb target. I'm
interested in score neutron and energy deposited in a calorimeter place
after the target. In order to have good accuracy, I have defined the
corresponding PHOTONUC card, using SDUM=ELECTNUC option. Then, as is
recommended in the fluka manual I have added a LAM-BIAS card with
SDUM=GDECAY.

The manual reads:

"10) For photons, a typical reduction factor of the hadronic inelastic
             interaction length is the order of 0.01-0.05 for a shower
initiated
             by 1 GeV photons or electrons, and of 0.1-0.5 for one at 10
TeV.
             For electrons and positrons, a typical reduction factor is
about
             5.E-4"

According to the fluka manual, I have tried different values of
parameter lambda-inelastic (WHAT(2)), starting from 5.E-4 as the manual
suggests to my case. However, it was impossible to run the code, this
takes a lot of time and then the computer becomes stuck. In this sense,
I start to increase this value, founding that for a value equal to 0.6
the code works.

So. I would like to ask if there is any problem choosing a value
different from the recommended and how this fact can affect my results?

thank you in advance.

regards,
Jilberto

  Dr. Jilberto Zamora Saa
  Dzhelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems
  Joint Institute for Nuclear Research
  141980 Dubna, Moscow region, Russia
  phone: +(496)2162589 (Office)
  phone: +7(915)4671294 (Mobile)